Tuesday 23 September 2008

Shetland Johnny

This is Mr Johnny Cash
Don't ask me why but he is EVERYWHERE in Shetland. On our first day day in Baltasound, that bizarre drinky experience blogged about here, it was Cash being blasted out the window from the old fidelity music centre in the neighbours living room.


When we went to the Unst Show it was Cash blareing out of the tannoy speakers interspersed with the usual diddley diddley folky stuff. AND at the concert that night one of the performers covered Falsom Prison Blues.

Turn on the local radio-Cash! Walk into a shop-Cash! By sheer coincidence the reknowned biopic Walk The Line was on the telly not long after we arrived just to remind us.


Why Cash? Why here? What's the connection? Whatever, it's not a problem. The boay's a legend.


I start teaching a course in Guitar Playing For Beginners at the local school tonight, so, aye, a wee bit of Cash in the mix I think. The heedie's wife is one of my pupils so I better be great.


S.x.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a bass player sandy, find it difficult to sing and play at the sametime. it's ok if your keeping rhythm with your right hand...check mark king(level 42...shit music, but brilliant musician), and how the f**k he manages it?? I have always found Pink Floyd associated with glasgow for some reason?? However after listening to 'Meddle', realised that there is more to floyd than 'the wall'

bjorn said...

Wierd coincidence, I'm watching Walk the line as I opened your blog !

Witherspoon Great, but the Phoenix bloke should have mimed, lost the character with the average vocals.

Also, What has Sinclairs comment got to do with Johnny Cash, or Shetland, or the price of butter ?

Sandy Nelson said...

Y' think so, Bjorn? I thought the bit in the aircracft hangar singing (and writing) Falsom Prison Blues when he discovered his voice was one of the best bits. I mean he cant actually BE Cash. Gie r'qunte a brekk. Right enough it was Jamie Foxx took the oscar aff him doing Ray Charles and christ all michty he WAS Ray Charles.

But, aye, no idea what Sinclairs comment is all about. Perhaps he could shed some light.
S.x.

Anonymous said...

i don't know what I'm talking about Sandy!...saw something about guitar in your blog, and then went on stream of consciousness and typed. Hope you're keeping fine. Are you moving away from Comedy these days?

BR, Sinclair

Sandy Nelson said...

Sorta, Sinky,

Still keeping my hand in but am desperately trying to alter my pidgeon hole to "writer."
S.x.