Monday 24 November 2008

"Da winters are nearly as bad as da simmers..."

Well that's the winter well proper started in Shetland. Check oot ma back windae!

And check ma bike!
That wilny be goin' anywhere for a while. Not that it went far anyway. Shops and back mostly. And look, this is the south side of the lovely village of Voe halfway up the mainland.
The word Voe is auld Norse for "a big long bay", whereas the word Wick, as in Norwick means "a big open bay" like the kind of bay we might call a bay.

And here's me in my daft hat posing against a snowy Lerwick backdrop
I know it's a daft hat but I'm a Norrlander now. Okay, mibby if I swanned down Byres Road with it on, yes, I'd be one of those tits that swans down Byres Road in a daft hat (much like I was when I lived there) but now I live 30 miles south of the artic cirlce so it would be daft if I DIDN'T wear one.
As you can see I'm very pleased with it. At first I had the black yin, but then my wifey said, "Oh aye, nice bunnet. I'll be havin' that." So now I have the the browning version. Dead waarm!

No comments: