Wednesday 10 December 2008

RTD! OMG!!!

This week I’ve left the fun, wind and drink of The Auld Rock and come down to visit our celtic brothers in Cardiff.

I am wandering through Cardiff Bay with top bog-trotting comic and Doctor Who Fan extraordinaire Johnny Candon, spouting crap about Torchwood as if I know what I’m talking about when Johnny goes “Oh. Look.”

-And who is sitting there at a wee cafe reading his paper and smoking a fag?-

-None other than the great man himself Russell T Davis! Recent Úberlord of all things Whovian!

And of course, Queer As Folk- the programme that made it ok for straight blokes to have gay mates. Not the intention of the show, but a nice by-product (or bi-curios-product, if you will)

Well, it takes us five minutes of saying things like “What if he tells us to fuck off? I couldn’t recover,” and so on to each other but we finally go and do the shakey hand thing.

Loveliest bloke in the world! No kidding. A pleasure. AND it's my birthday. What a gift? I thanked him for inspiring and entertaining me with his book The Writers Tale, a pressie from my wife which I’m reading just now, and told him in a voice like a teenager in the midst of dropping his balls “I’m a writer too!” Yeah, I know. A bit pathetic. But his book says you have to be bold and just go for it! Put yerself about a bit. So it’s his own fault.

Honestly, though. Nicest guy you could meet.

And of course we get the photo. Check out below this fabulous image of tri-celtic, sci-fi homo-erotica (or two sadcase, fanboys pushing 40, pestering a hard working man who is just trying to have a fucking coffee break.)

4 comments:

Muckle Viking said...

Mr Dr Who himself. I'm in awe. That beats when I met the musical god that is Rolf Harris or when I was the last man standing at a drinking bout with Ian Banks and a bunch of other writers. And I was working an hour later...

bjorn said...

Hi Sandy, Happy Birthday, Hope you had a good one away from the cauld isle, ..Oh who's the poof in the middle again ?

artycaz said...

Glad your '38th' birthday was so good. You lucky man! only to be luckier if you were home....maybe!!!!

What a photie, we gonna have that one up in the 'writers room'?

Take care babes
Yer Wife

Anonymous said...

When you are the Doctor, can I be a Zarbi? I am eaten alive with envy.

My verification word Clogit does sound like a vilage roon your bit.