Monday 19 January 2009

Fire Festival Fun

About a month after I moved up here I was back down in Glasgovia doing a gig with Hilarious comedy sketch group You Owe Me Glue at The Stand.

While there I was telling my good friend and colleague Limmy about my new life up here in Unst. In his wisdom he enquired, "Have you thought, eh...don't take this the wrang wiy, but have you thought about, like, taking oor the place?"

Well it's coming to fruition! Here is the first major offensive: Stand Up Helly Aa! Every year on the last Tuesday of January (for some reason) Lerwick hosts Up Helly Aa, the biggest fire festival in europe to greet the return of the Sun. It's the most important date on the Shetland calander. And what have they got me doing? Standing in a drafty theatre taking this piss out of the whole thing.

Actually, I will leave the piss taking to the thre Shetlanders on stage. I mean I know I used a bit of battle talk and that but, fukkit, I want more work so I should go easy.

Uch who the fuck am I kidding. I'm a cheeky wee basturt. But as the great recently departed master wordsmith John Mortimer said:

" A life during which you are caused no offence would be as blandly uneventful as death itself."

So here we go.x.

3 comments:

Muckle Viking said...

The troops are sharpening their battleaxes and burnishing their helmets as we speak.

Anonymous said...

Look at how we celebrate the Vikings. We were raped, pillaged and burnt of village - and we feel honoured to have been given such attention.

There's no reason to think it can't go both ways. I think the more offence you cause to all things Nordic, the more admiration you'll get in return.

I might be wrong.

Tom said...

Hope it goes really well Sandy.