Thursday 8 January 2009

You can take the boy...

I may have been a little too sarcy in my last post( yeah, like you can be TOO sarcy ) in my opinion of my hame toon of Glasgow. So here's wee list of the things I actually miss, accepting that family and friends is a given.

1. Curry- I've tasted curry in Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leicester, Nottingham, London, Bristol, Southampton , Portsmouth, Lerwick, Stockholm and Jakarta. Glasgow is the best.

2. Libraries- Lovely old municipal libraries like Partick and Maryhill and the Mitchell. Playgrounds for the mind of any age clasped in beautiful achitechture.

3. Salandinis Traditional Italian Barber Shop- Tucked away on that wee bit of West Princess St near Kelvinbridge Underground, Luigi and his son Antonio cut your hair, shave your chin and read your mind with Scicilian flair over espresso.

4. Swanning Up and Down That Byres Road Thinking Ahm Sumthin Ahm Urny- Where better than Byres Roads MILLION coffee shops to indulge your delusions of grandeur, waving at mini celebs you hardly know and paying a fucking fortune for no' bad coffee while working on your screenplay.

5. Lounge!- Glasgow would be sadder place without the likes of Mark Robb, Nick Peacock and the rest spinning the jazz, latino, lounge, easy and funk. When I set up "The North Lounge" in Unst I will invite them up on an arts council grant.

So, while I do love my new life up here in the wilderness with all the wonderful things it has to offer, I do miss some bits of Glasgovian life. It's worth it though. I can still indulge when I go down for gigs. A random Glasgow day would be:
GOMA Library; Offshore Coffee Shop; Luigi's for a shave; Byres Road/FOPP/Oxfam/more coffee etc; do my gig; mibby a late pint at The Woody if it's on or a curry.

Then it's back to the peace, quiet and eating of Unst. So while I'm glad to see the back of The City of Bams I do miss those little things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Morton Rolls :(

bjorn said...

we miss you :(

Sandy Nelson said...

Aw. Bless.xx.