Thursday 29 January 2009

Lerwick Up Helly Aa!


The last Tuesday in January- Up Helly Aa!

I had grown my beard all big and Vikingy and headed off to Lerwick.


The strangely fascisty looking black crow flag is hoist above Lerwick Town Hall.
As evening descends the street lamps are flipped off and the town is plunged into darkness . Then at 7.30pm -Whoosh! The Light Up! Up go the torches. To reveal... The Guizer Squads lined up and ready to go. They stand to attention waiting to follow the Guizer Jarl and his Jarl Squad, resplendent in Viking attire.And here come the girls...Hundreds of hairy arsed Shetlanders dressed up a women, giving the night the subtitle, Transvestite Tuesday. (It's a male only thing. That's the only pish thing about it.)

They march in their thousands around the square.The Galley Boys drag the galley...

They drag the galley into the centre of the park... Then they set fire to it!

(No photots of that, though. I'm from Glasgow. I've seen vehicles on fire before.)


It was a stunning procession.

I then went off to the Garrison Theatre where I hosted Stand Up Helly Aa, an evening of Shetland comedians. Everybody laughed. Braw!

The following morning...

Enough said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the labels on this blog: "EXPOSURE, SANDY NELSON, TRANSVESTITE". Keep up the good work, wee man!

There is a possibility that, as part of my new job, I might be coming to Shetland. No-one else wants to do it, so if it's going to happen, I'll probably end up doing it.

Sandy Nelson said...

Ooh er. Intriguing! Whit's the gig?
s.x.

Anonymous said...

I'm working for a charity called Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland, delivering training to patients with long-term conditions so they can get involved in planning their own health services.

It's called 'Patient-Focused Public Involvement', and it's Scottish Government-led, so it's to be rolled out across the whole country, including Shetland.

We work with people with strokes, COPD and heart conditions, so if I was coming to Shetland, I'd probably try to do the whole lot in a wannie.

Sandy Nelson said...

Do it do it do it!

Pros:
1. It's lovely up here.
2. There is not a pot hole. Anywhere!
3. Bureaucracy without hastle.
4. Supportive communities and working environments.
5. Scandinavian efficiency and pragmatism.
6. Caroline's here.

Cons:
1-6. I'm here.

You always have a bed in Unst.
Do It!
S.x.